About the CFMSThe CFMS is an organization representing over 8,000 medical students from 15 Canadian medical student societies from coast to coast. We represent medical students to the public, to the federal government, and to national and international medical organizations.
CFMS Student Initiative Grants: Call for Applications (Due February 11th)
The CFMS Student Initiative Grants Program was established in 2007 to provide support and funding to medical student initiatives. The fund was established in response to the increasing number of medical student-run initiatives and the need for official and financial support from our national student organization.
The applications for the Student Initiatives Grants (SIG) Program 2019-2020 Cycle is officially opened as of today, December 17, 2019. The due date is February 11, 2020.
For more information about the grants and how your application will be scored, please see the Student Initiative Grants Main Page.
Many successful projects have benefitted from direct CFMS funding including charitable, educational, and social events all organized by medical students. The goal is to assist students in realizing events or initiatives that promote interactions between CFMS students and member schools.
Brief Project guidelines:
- Student Initiative Grant funding is intended to help local and provincial start-up projects with initial funding to contribute to their long-term sustainability.
- Projects will NOT be considered if they have been recipients of CFMS Student Initiative Grants
- IMPORTANT NOTE: There are two categories of funding available. Tier 1 SIG funding is available for medium to large-scale initiatives and Tier 2 SIG funding is available for small- to medium-scale initiatives. The maximum amount of funding that may be requested via a CFMS SIG is $3,000.00 for Tier 1 and $1,500.00 for Tier 2.
- Projects will have the option to apply for one of the two tiers of fundings. Please do not increase your budget to ask for the maximum, as we wish to fund as many projects as possible, however for projects with a larger budget, please take note of this limit and look for funding from other sources such that you are able to complete your project with only partial funding from the CFMS.
- The Student Initiative Grants are NOT meant to fund academic research or travel funding to conferences for individual medical students
Projects that have received funding in the past are:
- Manitoba Perinatal Loss Education Project
- The Calgary Guide
- NOSM’s HumerUS! Magazine
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training for Medical Students
- Student Wellness Initiative Towards Community Health (SWITCH), a student-run clinic in Saskatoon, SK
- Student Run Clinic - (NORTH.NORD) Navigating Ottawa Resources to Improve Health
The deadline to be considered for funding through the 2019-2020 CFMS Student Initiative Grants Program is February 11, 2020. Applications must be submitted to [email protected] You may also email [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.