About the CFMSThe CFMS is an organization representing over 8,000 medical students from 15 Canadian medical student societies from coast to coast. We represent medical students to the public, to the federal government, and to national and international medical organizations.
OTTAWA, ON – July 10, 2019 - Today, the Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS) and nine provincial medical associations (PTMAs) are delighted to announce a new five-year collaboration that exclusively endorses the PTMAs’ insurance products for the benefit of CFMS members.
The PTMAs participating in the arrangement include:
- Doctors of BC
- Alberta Medical Association
- Saskatchewan Medical Association
- Doctors of Manitoba
- Ontario Medical Association, also representing
- New Brunswick Medical Society
- Doctors Nova Scotia
- Medical Society of Prince Edward Island
- Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association
CFMS Members benefit from this agreement in a number of ways:
- Objective insurance advice from salaried PTMA insurance advisors
- A wide range of competitive insurance products designed for physicians, that include:
- Term Life
- Critical Illness
- Extended Health & Dental
- Home & Automobile
- Non-profit insurance plans (i.e., Disability/Life) that return surplus premiums back to participating members
- Access to purchase individual insurance coverage from reputable insurance carriers that include Sun Life Financial, Manulife Financial, Canada Life and others
- Portability of coverage following completion of medical school
- In Ontario, CFMS members are also able to purchase various property and casualty products and services from OMA Insurance Inc. In Atlantic Canada, CFMS members have access to property and casualty products through their local provincial medical association.
Included in the agreement is a five-year Gold Level sponsorship of the CFMS by the PTMAs.
The PTMAs have a long and successful track record of providing value-added insurance programs for the benefit of their members, with some programs dating back to as early as 1950. All students and residents have access to their local PTMA program — this agreement demonstrates our commitment to educating students and residents on the benefits of having risk management solutions.
If you would like more information about the new agreement, please contact Odell Tan, CFMS VP Finance at [email protected] or contact your local PTMA to learn more about the insurance offerings available to you. Click here to find the contact information of your local PTMA.