About the CFMSThe CFMS is an organization representing over 8,000 medical students from 15 Canadian medical student societies from coast to coast. We represent medical students to the public, to the federal government, and to national and international medical organizations.
Call for Applications for CFMS Student Initiative Grants
CFMS Student Initiative Grants were established in 2007 to provide support and funding to medical student initiatives. The fund was established in response to the increasing number of medical student run initiatives and the need for official and financial support from our national student organization. Click here to download the form.
Many successful projects have benefitted from direct CFMS funding including charitable, educational and social events all organized by medical students. The goal is to assist students in realizing events or initiatives that promote interactions between CFMS students and member schools.
Projects will be considered based on the following guidelines and criteria:
- Enhancement of the educational experience of Canadian Medical Students
- Enhancement of the Canadian Healthcare System
- Enhancement of the local or national community
- Potential for sustainability
- Practicality and level of planning in the proposal, including transparency and an Itemized budget
- Bonus point awarded for proposals for projects that are deemed to have a significant potential for impact to the CFMS Member Students
It is important to note that these criteria are general and not all-inclusive. If your project does not fill all of these criteria there is still great potential for funding
- Projects will NOT be considered if they have been recipients of CFMS Student Initiative Grants in the last 5 years (2010-2011 cycle)
- Projects will receive a maximum funding amount of $3000. Please do not increase your budget to ask for this maximum, as we wish to fund as many projects as possible, however for projects with a larger budget, please take note of this limit and look for funding from other sources such that you are able to complete your project with only partial funding from the CFMS.
- The Student Initiative Grants are NOT meant to fund academic research or travel funding to conferences for individual medical students.
Projects that have received funding in the past are:
- Manitoba Perinatal Loss Education Project
- The Calgary Guide
- Western Canada’s Icebowel
- NOSM’s HumerUS! Magazine
- Memorial University’s Rural Medicine Interest Group
- Saskatoon Student Wellness Initiative Towards Community Health (SWITCH)
- Dalhousie’s Student Led Clinic in Saint John, NB
The final deadline for the 2015-2016 Student Initiative Grants is October 23rd, 2015. Please contact [email protected] for further information and to submit all applications.
Additionally, each year the CFMS provides $500 of funding to a pre-determined event in each geographical region which unites the CFMS membership of that region. These events are: Atlantic Medical Student Conference (MUNDal), Med Games, OMSW and Ice Bowl. If you are applying for funding for one of these events, please fill out and submit the SIGs Regional Event Funding Form.