About the CFMSThe CFMS is an organization representing over 8,000 medical students from 15 Canadian medical student societies from coast to coast. We represent medical students to the public, to the federal government, and to national and international medical organizations.
What is the CFMS?
For thirty-eight years the Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS) has been the national voice that represents over 8,000 medical students at fourteen schools across Canada.
Our three-fold mandate seeks:
- To support medical students by representing their voices among the national organizations that direct or influence the policy environment or delivery of medical education in Canada. It also represents medical students in organizations with broad health care mandates.
- To provide services that support the needs of member medical students
- To communicate national medical education issues of importance to medical students and facilitate communication and interaction of medical students among member schools.
The following executive positions are available for election for the 2015- 2016 academic year:
- Vice-President Medical Education
- Vice-President Communication
- Vice-President Finance
- Vice-President Student Affairs
- Vice-President Global Health
- Vice-President Government Affairs
- Atlantic Regional Representative (1)
- Quebec Regional Representative (1)
- Ontario Regional Representative (2)
- Western Regional Representative (2)
The elections will take place at the CFMS Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Windsor, ON, which runs from September 18th – 20th, 2015. Elections will be held on the afternoon of Saturday September 19th. You do not necessarily need to be present in order to run for a position. Speeches will be a maximum of three (3) minutes in length and can be delivered in person or by alternate means.
Elections will take place immediately following speeches and the new executive will be sworn in following the elections. All positions are for a one-year term. The first executive meeting will take place October 17th – 18th, 2015, in Ottawa, and all new executives are expected to attend.
Any CFMS member is eligible to run for a position. Descriptions of each position are provided below. For questions please contact CFMS Past-President and Chief Returning Officer, Jesse Kancir at [email protected].
How to Nominate Yourself
- Notify the Chief Returning Officer and Past President, Jesse Kancir, at [email protected].
- Nominations close at 12:00 (EDT) Saturday, September 19th, 2015.
- In your email please include your name, medical school attended, all of your contact information, and how you can be reached on September 19th if you will not be attending in person.
- You are entitled to give a three (3) minute speech and a further two-three (2-3) minutes will be allowed for questions afterwards.
- If you cannot be present you may provide an audio, video, or power point presentation up to three (3) minutes in length to be submitted prior to the beginning of the AGM. You may also provide a speech to be read aloud by a colleague or friend who will be present. Phone/live teleconferenced speeches will not be permitted.
Please consult the attached document for descriptions of the available positions. I sincerely encourage you to consider applying for these positions. This is an excellent opportunity to get involved, make a difference, and be an integral part of an effective and reputable student organization.
2014-2015 Past-President, Canadian Federation of Medical Students